DVLA help | West Heath Motors

Need to speak to someone?

0121 458 4031

Mon to Fri 9am - 5:30pm Sat 9am - 4pm Sun 10am – 2pm
or click contact

DVLA help

Registering you as the owner of a vehicle online, along with personal number plate transfers.

When you collect your new vehicle from West Heath Motors, we will apply for a V5 registration document in your name online on the bought sold page on the DVLA website.

The replacement V5 in your name takes only 3-5 days to land on your doorstep.

We will also use the same page to inform them you have sold or part exchanged your trade-in to us. This process is immediate, and you will receive email and/or printed confirmation.

We can even transfer Personal Number Plates here too, along with numbers that are on retention. This process is far quicker, i recently completed one and it took only 4 days, using the online process, compaired to 10 - 14 days by post. 



Abolition of the Driving Licence Counterpart.

From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will not be valid and will no longer be issued by DVLA. The counterpart was introduced to display driving licence details that could not be included on the photocard. These details include some vehicle categories you are entitled to drive and any endorsement/penalty points.

Please note, this does not affect photocard licences issued by DVA in Northern Ireland.

Click here for more information on the .gov DVLA website.


Don't be duped into paying more for your road tax.

Follow this link to read an article in The Telegraph warning against 'copy cat websites' which look very similar to the DVLA website. These websites will charge you an admin fee on top of the actual price to renew your vehicle road tax - so beware!  

If you're at all unsure call us or call in to see us and we will clarify any uncertainty.


Changes to the way you tax your vehicle. 1st October '14 - the abolishment of the tax disc.

 From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on a vehicle windscreen.

You can apply online to tax or SORN your vehicle using your 16 digit reference number from your vehicle tax renewal reminder (V11) or 11 digit reference number from your log book (V5C)

To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you will still need to get vehicle tax andDVLA will still send you a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax.

Buying a vehicle

From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by phone - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch.

Selling a vehicle

If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

Vehicle tax refunds

You will no longer need to make a separate application for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund when a notification is received from the person named on DVLA vehicle register that the:

  • vehicle has been sold or transferred
  • vehicle has been scrapped at an Automated Treatment Facility
  • vehicle has been exported
  • vehicle has been stolen
  • vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class
  • person on the vehicle register has taken out new vehicle tax as part of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) scheme (Standard Rate Mobility Element)

This article in The Daily Mail makes interesting reading, it explains the possible repercussions regarding vehicle(s) you no longer own.

Checking the tax status of your vehicle

You can check the tax status of any vehicle online. This can also be used for rental vehicles.


DVLA help - 'drop in'

This is where you can literally call in to see us with your paperwork and we'll go through it with you.

Not a bad idea to contact us to make sure you're bringing the correct documentation before you come along. 
We can print the actual DVLA forms required for completion here in the showroom for you, no sweat.

Don't forget that we may need to see identification too, this is usually acceptable in the form of driving licence and passport 

Click DVLA forms for a list of forms and guidance leaflets most commonly used.

(Not available via phone or email. Proof of identification may be required)